Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Tom Wolfe lives up to his reputation

Watch out! Legendary author and journalist Tom Wolfe is in town promoting his latest novel "I Am Charlotte Simmons" (review). The father of "Bonfire of Vanity" will show up at the Dutton's bookstore on November 15th and at the Los Angeles Central Library on December 4th. In their notice for the upcoming Tom Wolfe appearance, the fine folks at Dutton's inform us that "Mr. Wolfe has indicated that, because of time constraints, he will only be able to sign copies of his newest book. Additionally, he will be unable to personalize copies." Once a snob, always a snob. He probably hates to mingle with his readers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I went to the signing in NYC last night and Tom was really very nice to his fans. It was a madhouse there, so they have to limit the time each person talks to him, otherwise it would be out of control. As I was waiting in line, someone told me about this contest on his site to win a trip to NYC for a personal meeting with the writer. it is on his site now http://tomwolfe.com, so i guess he isn't opposed to mingling with his readers.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually was at the library meeting tonight to see the great Tom Wolfe--I brough along a 1st of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test for him to sign. Sure enough, he refused. The big man would only sign copies of his new book. This wasn't a bookstore, mind you, but the LA Public Library. When I politely asked him to sign his far superiour earlier classic (I didn't point that out, but I think he knew it and he knew I knew it), he had his goons move in on me--some pompous git with a tie and a rent-a-cop actually approached me when Wolfe made a signal. It was pathetic--obviously he needs to "move" as many copies of his panned new novel as possible before they all get remaindered, but I had politely bought several copies of this so he could see he would still make some money on me. This is the first time I've met an author act so rudely --and, let me again emphasize, he was not in a bookstore where pure commerce is understandable, but in the LA Public Library. It could have been a scene from one of his own novels--aging, pompous author, trying to sell embarrasing new book, moves goons in on fan who innocently asks to have one of his youthful classics signed.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home