Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The "Soccer War" Netherlands-Germany Goes On

Euro 2004 update: In the latest chapter of the word's greatest soccer rivalry, Netherlands and Germany battle to a thrilling tie (1:1). Darnet. I wish the "organjes" would have won! I am sympathetic with these guys since the 1974 World Cup final in Munich where two of the sports all-time greats (Germany's Franz Beckenbauer and Dutch legend Johan Cruyff) went head-to-head for soccer's ultimate prize. The Germans ran out 2-1 winners over the Dutch on that fateful July day, sparking a bitter rivalry that has lived on ever since.
The historic game of 1974 is the reason why I'm hooked up to (world class) soccer until this very day. I remember vividly when we all watched the dramatic game in college and how pissed I was that Cruyff and his ingenious buddy Johan Neeskens were not able to beat the "krauts". I still think that the incompetence of the referee was mainly responsible for the outcome of the match. Note to myself: I wanna find a copy of the best-selling book "1974: We were the Best" by the Dutch historian Auke Kok who explores the myth of this great game and the belief of most soccer aficionados that it was somewhat a great sporting injustice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here in cuddly switzerlands zurich men are occupied with finding out the best soccer-bars with huge tvs - to play and feel completely with and ... to satisfy their girlfriends with zoomed pictures of Kahns mouth, Beckhams tattoos, Zidanes eyes, Tottis agressions, the Yakin brothers balls and other physical delicacies...
I`m a girl and I`m lovin`it - the EM!

till again! coco

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home